I've been kicking off the new year by reading Helen Foster Currie's Alice MacDonald Greer mysteries. I read Ghost Dog first which is actually the second in the series. What fun! now reading Ghost Cave. They take place in the Texas Hill country, which is described vividly. The characters are authentic, esp Alice herself, the amateur detective/lawyer now living in small town Texas. Ghost Dog features the world of singer/songwriters and even has some lyrics in the back of the book! The plots are just complex enough to keep you want to read more and more. I just want to get the next in the series!
I love the creative use of language: is "howdied" a real verb? well even as a girl born and raised in the city, I liked it. The romantic relationship that blooms in Ghost Dog is a special treat! References to music, from Bela Fleck to Beethoven and notes on plants such as Japanese Allspice/Winter Sweet enrich the reading experience. The atmosphere of both has an undeniable joie de vivre even amid the danger and murder. It's a world you'll want to spend time in.
No comments:
Post a Comment